At the University of Portland we are committed to building sustainability into our educational experience and our daily living on campus, and we host related educational events and activities throughout each academic year.
Campus Conservation Nationals! (Walking the Talk...!)
Focus the Nation 2011: Transforming Our Energy Future on February 26, 2011.
- Presidential Advisory Committee on Sustainability - Annual Report
- Confluences: Water and Justice conference at UP - March 26-28
- Plastic Water Bottles no Longer Available for Sale on Campus.......
- University of Portland Climate Action Plan, President approved
- Sustainability Concentration in the MBA program shaping up for launch in 2010-2011
- CLOSING THE LOOP and CONSERVING
- Northwest Earth Institute discussion groups launched on campus: Voluntary Simplicity, Menu for the Future, Changing CO2ourse, and Choices for Sustainable Living
- Zoe Weil on Most Good, Least Harm, October 9th
- Paul Hawken, Commencement speaker, May 3rd
- Dr Paul Connett on Zero Waste and Sustainability, March 2nd
- Bishop Skylstad on water and the environment, Nov 18th
- Sustainability Theme House created, a.k.a. The Green House
- Food Alliance Dinner, March 4th
- Focus the Nation, January 31st, 2008
- Fall 2007 - Lead up to Focus the Nation
Let's come together in the region for education, engagement, and action! Stay tuned for related upcoming events and meetings on campus and on other campuses - events will be posted in the calendar on the right.
Please see conference link here.
Public welcome! Please attend!
Join PSU for an interactive town hall meeting Friday evening on climate solutions with Rep. Earl Blumenauer, Mayor Sam Adams, and OR State Reps. Ben Canon & Jules Bailey.
Hoffman Hall on PSU Campus, April 17, 6-9pm.
This event is part of a nation-wide effort to organize town halls in every congressional district across the country: http://www.focusthenation.org
Join the University of Portland’s Green Team: November 19th, 12:30-1:30pm in BC 163
As you may be aware, UP, as a community, an employer and an educator, is walking down a path toward sustainability. There are myriad ways this is being accomplished, including the formation of PACOS (Presidential Advisory Committee on Sustainability), created to inform the University’s President and others in the administration about opportunities for UP to live more sustainably in the world while preparing our students to do the same.
An important part of this journey will involve the active participation of our entire community, including you. You are invited to take part in creating a University-wide sustainability network. Some of our greatest resources are our staff, faculty and students—people with experience, knowledge, passion and willingness to learn, to make sure UP is moving forward in becoming more sustainable.
At this point, the network will informally gather around some general topic areas, about which interested people will learn, explore and recommend possible action the University can take, and then help the entire community take those actions.
On November 19th, 12:30-1:30pm in BC 163, we will hold an introductory meeting to begin putting a structure in place so that all who are interested can have a voice and an influence in strengthening this community (bring your lunch, if you like). At the meeting, we will briefly discuss what the University is currently doing to reduce resource use and become more sustainability-focused in its decision-making and activities.
You do not need to have any expertise in a specific area of sustainability, only an interest to learn more and be active in connecting more deeply with your community.
Please RSVP to me at email@example.com or 503 943 7727. If you cannot attend the meeting, please let me know that you are interested and I will connect with you after the first meeting.
Please come learn what UP is doing toward sustainability and help shape our future. You can have a part in developing the University of Portland as a sustainability leader in the Northwest and the world.
I look forward to seeing you,
Laura C. Steffen
Coordinator for Sustainable Entrepreneurship
University of Portland
5000 N. Willamette Blvd.
Portland, OR 97203
Tel: 503 943 7727